Translate
Saturday, 5 October 2019
Myanmar not listening to anyone: Hasina
Tuesday, 24 September 2019
European Parliament resolution on Myanmar, notably the situation of the Rohingya
MOTION FOR A RESOLUTION with request for inclusion in the agenda for a debate on cases of breaches of human rights, democracy and the rule of law pursuant to Rule 144 of the Rules of Procedure on Myanmar, notably the situation of the Rohingya Anna Fotyga, Karol Karski, Raffaele Fitto, Ruža Tomašić, Jadwiga Wiśniewska, Valdemar Tomaševski, Veronika Vrecionová, Assita Kanko, Jan Zahradil on behalf of the ECR Group | |||
| |||
| NB: This motion for a resolution is available in the original language only. | |||
B9‑0050/2019 European Parliament resolution on Myanmar, notably the situation of the Rohingya The European Parliament, having regard to its previous resolutions on Myanmar and on the situation of the Rohingya;
having regard to previous Foreign Affairs Council conclusions on the situation in Myanmar;
having regard to statements by the Vice-President of the Commission / High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy on the situation in Myanmar;
having regard to the Geneva Convention of 1949 and the additional protocols thereof;
having regard to the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights of 1966;
having regard to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child of 1989;
having regard to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948;
having regard to the UN Declaration on the Elimination of All Forms of Intolerance and of Discrimination based on Religion or Belief of 1981;
having regard to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court;
having regard to the 1951 UN Convention on the Status of Refugees and the 1967 Protocol thereto;
having regard to the 1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons and the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness;
having regard to the Final Report of the Advisory Commission on Rakhine State;
having regard to the European Parliament report on Statelessness in South and South East Asia of 13 June 2017;
having regard to the Memorandum of Understanding between Myanmar and Bangladesh on the repatriation of Rohingya people signed on 23 November 2017;
having regard to the Joint Response Plan (JRP) for the Rohingya humanitarian crisis issued in March 2018 by the United Nations and partner organisations;
having regard to Rule 144 of its Rules of Procedure;
***
|
Tuesday, 17 September 2019
600,000 Rohingya still in Myanmar at 'serious risk of genocide': UN

By AFP
YANGON — Rohingya Muslims remaining in Myanmar still face a "serious risk of genocide", UN investigators said Monday, warning the repatriation of a million already driven from the country by the army remains "impossible".
The fact-finding mission to Myanmar, set up by the Human Rights Council, last year branded the army operations in 2017 as "genocide" and called for the prosecution of top generals, including army chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing.
Some 740,000 Rohingya fled burning villages, bringing accounts of murder, rape and torture over the border to sprawling refugee camps in Bangladesh, where survivors of previous waves of persecution already languish.
But in a damning report, the United Nations team said the 600,000 Rohingya still inside Myanmar's Rakhine state remain in deteriorating and "deplorable" conditions.
"Myanmar continues to harbour genocidal intent and the Rohingya remain under serious risk of genocide," the investigators said in their final report on Myanmar, due to be presented Tuesday in Geneva.
The country is "denying wrongdoing, destroying evidence, refusing to conduct effective investigations and clearing, razing, confiscating and building on land from which it displaced Rohingya", it said.
Rohingya were living in "inhumane" conditions, the report continued, adding over 40,000 structures had been destroyed in the crackdown.
'War crimes'
The mission reiterated calls for the UN Security Council to refer Myanmar to the International Criminal Court (ICC) or to set up a tribunal, like for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda.
It said it had a confidential list of over 100 names, including officials, suspected of being involved in genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, in addition to the six generals named publicly last year.
The report also repeated calls for foreign governments and companies to sever all business ties with the military, calling for a "moratorium" on investment and development assistance in Rakhine state.
The maligned Muslim community has long been subjected to tight movement restrictions, making it difficult or impossible for many to access healthcare, work and education.
The Rohingya are denied citizenship in Buddhist-majority Myanmar and are accused of being illegal immigrants from neighbouring Bangladesh.
The army justified the crackdown as a means of rooting out Rohingya insurgents.
Bangladesh and Myanmar signed a repatriation deal two years ago, but virtually no refugees have returned to date.
The investigators described conditions in Myanmar as "unsafe, unsustainable and impossible" for returns to take place.
They also accused the army of fresh abuses against civilians in the north of Rakhine state.
The area has once again become embroiled in conflict as the military wages war on the Arakan Army (AA), rebels fighting for the rights of ethnic Rakhine Buddhists.
The UN probe accused the military of "war crimes", including forced labour and torture and said the AA was also guilty of abuses on a smaller scale.
Myanmar military spokesman Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun rejected the team's findings, calling them "one-sided".
"Instead of making biased accusations, they should go onto the ground to see the reality," Zaw Min Tun told AFP.
Tags:
Nicholas Koumjian (IIMM) - 1st Meeting, 42nd Regular Session Human Rights Council
Nicholas Koumjian (IIMM) - 1st Meeting, 42nd Regular Session Human Rights Council
9 Sep 2019 - Presentation of report by Nicholas Koumjian, Head of International Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar
Friday, 6 September 2019
Myanmar forcing Rohingya to accept ‘foreigner’ label
In this file photo, taken on September 17, 2017, Rohingya refugees are seen protecting themselves from the rain in Bangladesh. (By AFP)A human rights organization says Myanmarese authorities are forcing members of the persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority to accept identity cards that strip them of the chance to become citizens.
In a report published on Tuesday, Fortify Rights said that the National Verification Card (NVC) scheme targeting Rohingya Muslims was part of a systematic campaign by Myanmarese authorities to erase their identity.
The government has coerced Rohingya to accept the NVCs, "which effectively identify Rohingya as 'foreigners,'" the group said.
The report, titled "Tools of Genocide," also said Myanmarese authorities used torture and abuse to force Rohingya into accepting the verification cards.
"These findings demonstrate that the NVC process has not been a response to the crisis in Rakhine State, as the government suggests, but rather a fundamental part of the crisis," it added, referring to the state where the Rohingya had been concentrated before hundreds of thousands of them fled state-sponsored violence to neighboring Bangladesh.
The group also says "citizenship scrutiny" processes have progressively limited their rights, including freedom of movement, access to education, and freedom of expression.
Matthew Smith, the group's chief executive officer, also said, "The Myanmar government is trying to destroy the Rohingya people through an administrative process that effectively strips them of basic rights."
The United Nations Independent Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar also found an increase in pressure on the Rohingya to accept the NVC in the months leading up to August 2017.
More than 730,000 Rohingya Muslims fled Rakhine to neighboring Bangladesh following a military-led crackdown in 2016 that the UN has said was perpetrated with "genocidal intent."
Thousands of Rohingya Muslims were killed, injured, arbitrarily arrested, or raped by Myanmarese soldiers and Buddhist mobs mainly between November 2016 and August 2017.
The latest development comes days after a second failed attempt to repatriate the refugees from Bangladesh.
Citizenship is at the heart of Rohingya demands for a return to Myanmar.
The Rohingya have inhabited Rakhine for centuries, but the state denies them citizenship. Bangladesh refuses to grant them citizenship, too.
Friday, 16 August 2019
Rohingya Program on ABC World
Rohingya Program on ABC World: a Rohingya Habib speak ( from 24:15min to 33:00min)
Saturday, 10 August 2019
What is Myanmar offering the Rohingya to return home?
It has been almost two years since more than 700,000 Rohingya fled a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar.
The United Nations labelled the offensive "a textbook example of ethnic cleansing" with soldiers accused of rape, murder and burning down Rohingya villages.
Since their escape, the mostly Muslim ethnic group has been crammed into the world's largest refugee camp in Bangladesh, but Myanmar's government is under pressure to take them back.
A high-level delegation from Myanmar visited Bangladesh's southern Cox's Bazar district on Saturday to persuade the Rohingya they should return to Rakhine state.
But so far the refugees have refused, demanding guarantees about their safety and for them to be granted citizenship.
So, what exactly is the Myanmar government offering?
Presenter: Martine Dennis
Guests:
Aman Ullah - Rohingya researcher and writer
Phil Robertson - Deputy director of the Asia Division at Human Rights Watch
Ronan Lee - Visiting scholar at the International State Crime Initiative at Queen Mary University of London
